Walkenhorst Family

Walkenhorst Family

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Church and Scouting Experiences

Church

A few weeks ago, my oldest son gave a talk in church. It was fantastic! He wrote it himself, though I guided him with some questions and gave him a couple of ideas. He talked about service and gave three ideas of how we can serve others. One of my favorite parts was when he talked about doing random acts of service. He gave as an example the story of Christ turning water into wine. He then went on to say that we don't have to perform miracles to be of service; we just need to serve with love as Jesus did. So cool! That boy can be pretty profound.


He was really nervous before giving the talk, but then felt great when he was done. A lot of people complimented him on it and I think that really boosted his confidence.

Scouting

After church that same day, he passed off his last requirement for his Star rank in the Boy Scout program by completing a Board of Review. He was flying high that day. He began to see the light at the end of the tunnel in achieving his Eagle Scout and he has been pretty pumped about it ever since. I'm really proud of him.

But the most satisfying part of the story for me was when he told me thanks for pushing him so hard in scouting. I didn't realize I was pushing so hard, but apparently he thought so. And he told me thanks. Twice. Without any prompting from either mom or dad. He was genuinely grateful that I pushed him to do it because he feels so good about himself given what he has accomplished.

It's so fun to see my children growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment