Walkenhorst Family

Walkenhorst Family

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tibial Spine Fracture

About a week after I fractured my ankle, my son slammed his knee on the floor of the basketball court as he was practicing with his team. My wife, with images of bone fractures fresh in her mind, took him to the emergency room where they told her that he had sprained his knee. They gave him some crutches and he has been hobbling around ever since, waiting for the sprain to heal and the swelling to go down. Neither seemed to be happening, so my wife took him to the orthopedist today and apparently he fractured his tibial spine. There's a piece of the bone that refuses to get back in place and they're going to have to do orthoscopic surgery to tack it down. How many broken bones do we need in this family? Apparently at least two right now.


His surgery will be this Thursday and I'll find out on Friday whether my ankle needs surgery. This is surreal. When our family walked/limped into church on Sunday, we made a pretty big impression with two of us being on crutches. We thought at the time that the smaller pair was supporting a sprain, but now it looks like we'll both be on crutches for several more weeks. My poor boy has his whole leg cast, but it sounds like he's handling it well so far. He's disappointed he won't be able to play basketball for the rest of the season. That really stinks because he was just starting to get the game figured out and he has been their top scorer so far. He was planning to play soccer this spring and now it looks like that isn't going to happen either. I'm glad he has a good attitude about it, though. He's a great kid! I just feel bad for him and hope his attitude stays healthy through the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment