Walkenhorst Family

Walkenhorst Family

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead

Emily and I watched a documentary last night called "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead". It was really cool! Similar to the idea behind a documentary we watched recently called "Forks Over Knives", but a little different. The movie last night showed the progress of several peoples' health as they conducted vegetable/fruit juice fasts. The results were amazing and inspiring.


The guy making the documentary, Joe, lost a LOT of weight by doing a 60-day juice fast. The picture above shows a before and after version of Joe. Joe made his own juice from fresh vegetables and some fruit. He was able to eliminate his prescription medication completely - medicine that was intended to help control a pretty annoying autoimmune disease - can't remember the name right now.

He traveled across the US for the second half of his fast and talked to a lot of people. Most of the people he talked to seemed to think he was crazy for doing the fast. But some of them expressed interest and a few actually followed his example and tried it. He met a man at a truck stop who had the same rare autoimmune disease and this guy decided to try a 10-day fast. He started out at well over 400 pounds - I think it was around 460. After 10 days, he felt so much better and had lost so much weight, he decided to continue it for a full 60 days. Over the next few months, he lost over 200 pounds and it was so cool to see the before and after. Not just the physical, but the mental and emotional state of the guy. He became so much happier and more confident.

Emily and I are planning to do an herbal-assisted cleanse over the next couple months. After watching this movie, I think we're going to try a week-long juice fast to start it out. I'm excited to see what it can do.

One thing I've taken away from these two documentaries is the potential for a plant-based diet to dramatically improve health and guard against some of the chronic diseases so prevalent in western society. I've seen some improvement in my own health from experimenting with such a diet and I'm going to experiment with this diet more in the next few months. I'm hoping I can report some happy results from that experiment as I go along.

One version of such a diet is shown in the following food pyramid by Dr. Fuhrman. I think it makes a lot more sense than the food pyramid published by the FDA.

Plant-based diet food pyramid

No comments:

Post a Comment