Walkenhorst Family

Walkenhorst Family

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Inception

On a recommendation from Emily's sister, we watched the movie "Inception" last night. It was SO good!

The idea is based on a technology that doesn't exist - in the movie, it allows people to share dreams. Once I got past that bit of fantasy (didn't take me long), I just dove in and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I don't want to say too much about the details of the plot because I think that would make it less enjoyable for you to watch. Briefly though, it begins by introducing us to a group of people who are paid to steal ideas from peoples' subconscious minds while they're dreaming (they call this theft 'extraction'). The group is then hired to implant an idea into a man's subconscious with the idea that it will take hold and become his own (inception). That's when things start to get a little crazy.


I was so impressed. The plot reveals itself slowly throughout the movie. As it became clear what was happening, I was so impressed by the beauty of the plot and the way in which the story was weaved. After a single viewing, I don't see any plot holes, which is satisfying. Once you get past the basic premise (shared dreaming) and one or two of the assumptions that I found hard to believe, the rest of the story fits together pretty neatly.

The best part of the movie for me was the mental gymnastics it demanded. Trying to keep track of everything that was going on in multiple levels of dreaming while keeping tabs on the characters as they're developing and as information from their past is unveiled that helps us understand them better - it was a bit of a workout. I really enjoyed that.

There was a scene in one of the dreams where gravity is changing and then it is completely lost (I can't explain why - just watch the movie). Some of those scenes were so much fun to watch. The guy who got to have all the fun was an actor named Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I was really impressed by him. Emily was the one to notice that as a child, he was the main character in a cute little Disney flick called "Angels in the Outfield". He did a great job in that film too.

As the main character, I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did a fantastic job. Some years ago, I didn't like him, though I can't really say why. I think it was all the hype from Titanic (a shallow reason, I know), which I never saw. But in all the films I've seen him in lately, I think he's fantastic. He did a GREAT job in this one.

The only downside to the movie was the violence. Except for one instance, which is extremely sad, the only deaths occur in dreams, which means no one actually dies. But it's still very violent to watch it. Still, I'm planning to watch it again soon just so I can put everything together now that I understand the whole plot. Very cool movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment